Monday, September 05, 2005

A productive Labor Day

I worked through lunch and still only got out at 3:30- so it's an 8 1/2 hour day.
I got 6 holes drilled, because I finally remembered the right way to drill in rock. You have to back-up into the hole so you can use the entire weight of the truck and auger.

I ran into some f*cked-up fragmented rock in my second hole. Broke a lot of the rock teeth, ground down the other ones and wore a good size gouge in my pilot bit.
I'm down to less than a quarter of a box of rock teeth now.
I can weld the gouges and re-hardface the bit flutes, but it's been so long- I can't remember what kind of rods to tell my boss to get. I know 6011 rods are too soft, so it looks like I'll have to ask the welding supply store.

The joys of playing in the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment