Saturday, April 30, 2005

My contribution to the culinary arts
It seems like every blogger needs to make their contribution, so here's my obligatory food post.

I decided to do a brisket and since it's too windy to do it outside, I'm doing it in a 200 degree oven. I made a rub yesterday, and it sat soaking up the flavor all night.
One thing I love about cattle country is that they have good cuts of inexpensive meat. This market trimmed brisket was about $2.19/lb and almost no fat.

I made a sweet BBQ sauce to go with it, so here's the recipe- the way I did it this time (it changes every time):
  • 1 LG (or 2 sm) Can tomato sauce (for you Brits that stumble in here- it's NOT Ketsup).
  • about 1/4 sweet onion-diced semi-fine.
  • 1/2 - 3/4 c brawn sugar ( add more as needed).
  • Garlic powder (not garlic salt) a thin layer over the entire pot- ad more as desired.
  • Chili powder (Red pepper)about the same as garlic.
  • a quick squeeze of of yellow mustard- don't overdo it.
  • Cumino- about half as much as the garlic.
  • Pinch of sweet Basil
  • half a shake of Cinnamon.
Add other spices to taste ( I love that phrase) but DO NOT taste Corriander out of the bottle- it has a nasty, bitter aftertaste.
Other spices to taste.
Heat untill just simmering, and remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment