Sunday, April 02, 2006

We didn't get to shoot where we wanted today

The Alamo Muzzlelloaders was having an event, so I didn't want to bring out the modern weapons. I saw a private range coming back from Dilly, so we went to see it. They just opened it, and have about 5 bricklined pistol lanes, a 100Mtr and 250Mtr rifle range. They also have classes for concealed weapons, and train SAPD and military on tactical situations. It looked good, but we didn't have $300 to spend for a 1 year family membership.
Not with what happened yesterday.
So we went back to our dry creekbed, and used the other bank where we could use roots to fix our targets.



Any way, my impression of my first ever .50 Cal. muzzelloader pistol shoot.

I chose the Trapper model because I liked how it fit my hand, the Kentucky pistol and the Plainsman were too small and rounded to feel comfortable to me.
The hammer spring is VERY heavy (Karen needs two hands to cock it) and the trigger is very light. This gun comes with double triggers, the back one sets the front to a (an RCH) hair trigger.
I used the trigger without setting it, it felt more , , , 'modern'.
I used a 20 grain load of pyrex, just because I wasn't sure how it would fire. I guess the mass of the gun absorbed quite a bit of the recoil, and it wasn't much different than a .38 maybe.
The barrel got warm very fast, I'm not sure how much the sun had to do with that, though- the .22 was really hot even before we shot it.

It was simple to load, once I learned how much to fill the measuring cup/funnel.


Pour the powder down, place the lubed patch under the ball and set with my thumb.



I just used the ramrod to seat the ball, didn't use a bulled starter.


Set the hammer to half-cock and place the cap.


You are now ready to fire.


I don't think it would take 20-30 seconds if you had your chit together- maybe less. They want you to wait about 60 seconds between shooting and loading for safety (let any embers die out).

It IS a little front heavy, but anyone who's in decent shape should be able to work with it.
When I fired it, it didn't sound much louder than the .22 Karen was shooting next to me (no we didn't wear hearing protection) and like I said, hardly any recoil. I might try going up to 25 grains next time, but We'll just be shooting at 25-30 feet, so I don't think it'll make that much difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment