Thursday, June 01, 2006

Choices

I'm at a bit of a fork in the road.
I have two job offers, one for a trucking company and the other a flagpole company.

I'm not getting any younger and the thought of sitting in a nice dry cab in crappy weather (with A/C in the summer) is a definite draw. The idea of not getting rained out helps, too. The drawbacks are that I'd be delivering corn syrup to bottling plants and bakeries inside San Antonio, and they don't offer health insurance. The pay is acceptable, but not huge-I can live on $500- $600 a week. This job will also be moving to Hondo in Aug. which makes it even more attractive.

The flagpole job offers better pay and benefits and not that hard of work- drilling holes and setting poles. I'd be out in the weather and getting rained out. That's not usually a problem in S. Texas, although there are times when we have a front stalled on top of us for days at a time. The pay could make it worth my while, and as it's an expanding company the ability to advance into A/C is inviting.

The trucking job I can start tomorrow because he really needs drivers, but the flagpole job is weeks in the future. The older I get, the more these decisions matter in the future. I dunno, guess I'll just flip a coin- either way I'll be second guessing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment