Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Am I the only one who's pretty cheesed about the search engine subpoenas?

It affects you.
You got here from a blog, or a bookmark, or a search engine- Google, Yahoo!, MSN, Lycos, or about 150 of the lesser known ones.

That's right, YOU. Anywhere you went on your computer- since you've owned it- there is an electronic trail. I know you computer geeks know that.

I bet if I were important enough, every website I ever visited could be traced.
I don't even know enough about computeres and how the internet works to be dangerous, but I do know there is no such thing as anonomous surfing. You can make it difficult, but not impossible for anyone to see every place you've ever been online.

Here's a quick example- Me; Wildblue.net since Oct '06- before that EV-1 dialup
2 addresses, 2 different computers- same account. Same name. Same SSN. Same credit card (I think).

Want to guess if I can't be traced back to Port Aransas, Tx?
The first of two computers and 2 different dial-up accounts.

My ISPs are all over the net- so are yours.

The only reason no-one's bothered to make a comprehensive list; is that
1- it's still too much bother for nobodies like us and
2- the software that does it automatically hasn't been madfe widely available yet.

What are you going to do in 10 or 15 years when your surfing habits start to bite you in the @ss?

I really wish some big bloggers would take this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment