Friday, November 05, 2021

More on the well

 Yes, I ended up cutting the casing. because the way things go here at Rancho Snakebit, if I just yanked it up to free the bushing- I'd end up separating the case at some glued joint twenty feet down.....

And I didn't lose the well pump like I was really worried about.
Because there's a reason it's called Snakebit ranch.
I made sure to have the makeshift pipe vise secured before letting loose of the rigging.
And yes- it was schedule 80 PVC with corroded couplings where they threaded it together.

Once we finally got the pump out, I didn't notice till this morning when I found I got the wrong kind of PEX.
So I decided to call Gajeske and get some HDPE water pipe and the right fittings.
$326 for 500' of 1" and two compression adapters. The neighbor said he's buy the last 300 feet when I'm done. So actually it ended up being cheaper than the way I was going to do it.

Lastly, as I was looking at the old pump, I saw this....


 


That pump motor was only held on by one nut.
Don't know if that was the problem, but it's not anymore.

4 comments:

  1. Good neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With only one nut still on, it makes me think someone in a hurry tightened one with a wrench, became distracted, and the assembly was dropped into the well with the other two just hand tightened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't have a torque arrester on it either.

      Delete
    2. I worked on a huge stay-cable bridge, where our contract required us to examine the dampers. Removing the boots revealed some with all the damper ring, and the bolts, at the bottom of the tube. The way the damper worked was that the stainless bolts squeezed the large rubber doughnut between two plates, which pretty well served the same purpose as a lock washer. Having all of them in the bottom of the tube was damn near impossible. So, someone neglected their job, hid their neglect, and covered it with the rubber boot on the cable.

      Delete