Sunday, January 28, 2024

We now have bacon

 Pork shoulder/Buckboard bacon on the left and Pork Loin/Canadian bacon on the right.

I couldn't get a constant cool enough heat in the grill I was going to use as the smoker, so I added liquid smoke for a day and a half and backed them at 200 for about 3 1/2 hours.

Next time, I'm going to add brown sugar to the cure because the pork shoulder that I didn't use sugar on is kinds...meh.
The Canadian bacon really works, though.

Will do again. And it's a lot cheaper than store-bought bacon.
Next time I'll try some beef bacon.

3 comments:

  1. Maple syrup, the real kind, in your marinade, skip the brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt, my experience using sugar (white/brown) in bacon curing/seasoning is that if the cured bacon is over cooked it may get bitter from the burnt sugar. My wife likes real crisp fried bacon (I mean real crisp/crunchy). When I tasted the bacon cooked to her taste it had a bitter taste, while when cooked to be just done, it really tasted great. My bacon was mesquite smoked and it was the first attempt at curing my own.
    Cletus Valvecore

    ReplyDelete