Thursday, January 11, 2024

So it begins

 Making bacon.

 After I finally got a digital scale that goes to two digits for the Prague #1 powder.
The first one is a Butt/shoulder  that hopefully will result in Buckboard bacon after I smoke it.

The other attempt is two pork loins of about four pounds each to hopefully get Canadian bacon out of it.

I had to wait for the scales because you don't want to use too much Prague powder/pink cure or whatever else you want to call it. luckily there's a  page for that.

On the second one I put in for 14 days- I'm going to try adding some liquid smoke and seal it back up, then finish it in the oven to see if there's any real difference between real smoke and liquid.


5 comments:

  1. I am going to try the Canadian bacon. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Buckboard sounds interesting.
    I just use zip lock bags and haven't vac-sealed it for the curing. Might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just put a little vacuum on it to get most of the air out of it, then sealed just because I didn't want pig juice all over the fridge in case it leaked.

      Delete
    2. I just put the zip loc bag on a baking sheet in the fridge because yes, there is leakage sometimes !!

      Delete
  3. There's smoked and mesquite smoked. I home cured/mesquite smoked pork belly bacon in the fall. My taste buds voted it "outstanding".
    Cletus Valvecore

    ReplyDelete