Sunday, April 12, 2009

A conversation

We had this last night and I'll try to be even handed even though I'm paraphrasing:

Me: I'm thinking about going to the dentist for replacement fillings.
Her: I still need to go (for some kind of deep gum surgery).
Me; And it has a six month wait- when are you going to make the appointment?
(It's been a year since she first mentioned it)
Her: I'm putting it off because of the pain.
Me:They'll give you some good pain pills when you're done.
Her: I'm not worried about *after*, I'm dreading the pain of them *doing* it.
Me: Why?
Her: Because they're going to slice my gums!
Me: Yeah. So? They have plenty of Novocaine.
Her: What?
Me: Novocaine, that they shoot into your jaw until your tongue is numb and you can't feel a thing in your mouth.
Her: I've never had Novocaine.
Me: What? How do they take care of cavities over there? (In the U.K.)
Her: The attendants (nurses) grab each arm and hold you down as the Dentist drills.
Me: I'm only two years older than you and I've *never* had a drill in my mouth without Novocaine.
Her: That's why everyone says English teeth are so bad, they don't go to the dentist because of the pain.
Me: I don't go to the dentist because of the cost.
Her:But you have dental insurance from my work.
Me: How? I'm off your health plane because I'm on [medium-large electrical companies] plan.
Her: I didn't take you off that plan.
Me: See if it's still in effect, but when you took me off your health care, i bet I was off the dental, too.

That's the British National Health Services- NHS if any one's Googling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment