Friday, December 31, 2021

Prepping posts

 I've looked at some prepping posts about dehydrating.

The wife got a dehydrator when she saw the grocery prices expected to climb through the roof.
We've been experimenting- frozen corn, peas, caramelized onion, carrots, parsnips...

She wants to vacuum seal the jars, but the little necked ones didn't work on her vacuum sealer, so instead of going through the hassle of doing the water bath thing- I tried the microwave thing.

The only difference between wet heat and warming the contents up to get a vacuum when it cools is water- I tried it. As herself was asking skeptically if I really thought it would work, we heard the "tink" of the lids.

If you slice your tomatoes and put them under a broiler for a while, you can dehydrate fire roasted tomato slices for the added flavor boost (don't know about electric ovens YMMV)

Trying meat next. I'll bet it from a meat market so I don't have to deal with all that red water the big stores inject it with.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm sick and tired of all of the water that is in most of the meat we buy these days. It is technically illegal, but that doesn't stop them. It appears to be happening at the processor level mostly, so the stores may be able to plead ignorance.

    ReplyDelete