Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My guilty (?) pleasure

Karen refuses to even look at them- because they come from the insides of a chicken.

Down here we have in certain Shell stations, a small chicken chain called "Chester's Fried chicken". Nice original name, huh?

Anyway if you can find them, they make the best deep fried gizzards I've had.
I'm trying to get close to their recipe and I'm closing in, I think.

This is what I've got so far:

In a 1 gal food baggie dump-
  • about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of flour
  • alot of garlic powder 1/3 to 1/2 cup
  • about half the amount of onion powder
  • LOTS of salt. A good tablespoon is getting close
  • a good shot of ground black pepper- nope more.
  • a heavy sprinkle of red pepper
In a medium saucepan heat your oil of choice, but be sure to have about 1/2 from lard.
I'm getting good results at a high medium (or low high) on the electric range.

Drop in about 1/3 of the flat into the coating mix and shake -well then let sit until the oil is ready.
When ready to cook, reshake the batch and sift through your fingers as you place them in oil.
Cook about 6 minutes ( I'm looking at seven next time) and set on to drain on paper towels.
Salt
Repeat for the rest.

Sit down and ignore the fawning, drooling dogs at your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment