Sunday, June 06, 2021

I had to do it- WIN10

 After the storms coming through- straight line winds during a hail storm, which knocked over one of the 50' Post oaks.

We were intermittently without power almost all day.

I'm now on a Lenovo WIN10--which completely sucks.
I can't do anything without having to make a windows account- fuck you very much Bill Gates.
I'd include a picture of the said tree, but I can't add pictures to my picture folder without fucking making a microsoft account. . Fuck you very much Microsquish.


I learned my lesson on the last computer, so I've been trying to download a restore flash drive for the last . FOUR FUCKING HOURS.

I'm able to get to gmail with some of my links and it's 1847 now (6:47PM for you unfamiliar with real operating time) and haven't been on FB all day.

As of now, it's been over four hours and the bar says it's still got 33% more to go.

I'm going to go digging back through the posts and find the one with all the Linux suggestions- I need to buy another flash drive for that,,,, so tomorrow.



EDIT TO ADD-
The reason I had to go was the old one was getting really  glitchy and the repeated outages must have been enough to knock out the internet part. Everything else was able to connect.
So I replaced it with this Lenovo from the bottom shelf that I bought several weeks ago just because I knew this was coming.

Now that I'm at least able to surf the net, I can't get this fucking thing to recognize when I put a CD full of pictures in. It opens and downloads to the laptop in WIN7.

So again fuck you very much Microsoft.

14 comments:

  1. I'll add one here: LinuxMint for the easiest jump from Windows 7. LibreOffice to replace Microsoft Office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open Office is my office spot. Everything is free. It is by an outfit called 'Apache'.

      Delete
  2. Still running Win7 Pro even though I keep getting error messages stating that my next gen processor is NOT compatible with Evil 7 and I really should "upgrade" to 10.
    It has been years since I played with Linux and all of the cousins, but I may have to try again...
    MSG Grumpy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What B P said about Linux Mint (19.3 for me for two-plus years), even though I still keep a Windows 7 desktop and laptop to get my money's worth from the Office suite I bought.
    And if you're new to Linux, this guy is your friend:

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc7fktTRMBow7EZC5usWsVo7Hz9B9oHOi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I'll add about linux is that once you get comfortable with the system, it is trivial to wipe your machine and install a new distribution, since they are largely free. In general, I wipe my personal laptop every two or three months. It takes about an hour. That means that no matter how much I've screwed things up, every few months, all the malware, loggers, etc. are erased. Plus, it means that you get to try all sorts of interesting niche versions. For instance, yesterday I installed "Kodachi" linux, which is a security-oriented distribution that comes with its own VPN that turns on as soon as you turn on the machine, and is set up so that if you enter one password it logs you in, but if you enter another password, it erases your data in the background *while* it logs you in. Thus, if you are forced to give someone your password, it will nuke files while it lets them in. Not a cure-all, but a cute idea.

      One of the things I've noticed about most Microsoft and Apple users I know is that they will run the same installation of their OS for as long as they can -- many years in some cases. Sure, there are upgrades, but *every* time I've looked at a friend's installation of Windows, there are things there that were poorly installed or were placed by bad websites that have been there for months or years.

      Delete
  4. If you could hold off for a while more, they are coming out with windows 11. Another $200 out of our pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got kicked off of facebook for 30 days for pointing out the people mugging Jews on the eastern seaboard were muslims. I believe I said "dirty, stinking *uslims" Touchy touchy. So I got a couple more weeks to go. Been trying to post stuff to 'GAB.com' but not many folks use that spot yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear sbout your troubles with win10. It is possible to mitigate most of the intrusiveness of the win10 microserf borg. It is definitely possible to setup win10 without a microserf online account. Ideally you do this at the beginning, so depending on where you are with your migration it may no5 be worth the effort.

    In any case if you let me know the best way to email you, I can send you a pdf doc that we use for the initial win10 setup. I will be sending it from my ProtonMail account if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, but I'm slowly getting my shit back into one sock again.
      I ended up having to download the pics to my Moto G and then email them to myself.

      It looks like I'm going to have to individually copy the links I want from my bookmarks and .............waitaminute!
      I've got a bloglist I can copy and paste to.
      .
      .
      .
      .
      No, I need an internet connection to do that.
      Maybe when I buy a USB to double USB male cord it could work.
      The Lenovo can't find my phone on Bluetooth and keeps giving the wrong code when I try with the old Dell.......

      Delete
  7. You can actually use your Lenovo Win10 (i have win 10 home), but you have to jump through hoops to do so. If you have already set it up using a microsoft account, you can create a new user, make it an administrator, and then log in as that user and delete the microsoft account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Step, by step please. I would like to do that too.

      Delete
    2. https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confirmed-windows-10-setup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/ is the guide I followed.

      I also did it from a bar w/ wifi and a throw-away email account. Just make sure that you create your local user as an administrative account BEFORE you delete the account created during setup.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. Ya done good. I like the 'geeks'.

      Delete