Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I broke a waterline last week

It wasn't marked and no-one even knew it was there. I was exposing our conduit and stuck a side tooth through the pipe.

It took then forever to find the right valve,,, and another couple hours to discover they forgot to turn off the back-flow preventer.
We couldn't get all the water out of the hole because the conduit was acting like a dam, so I went in (up to my knees in water) and dug under the conduit.

After we got the pipe fixed, I had to buy a new pair of boots as the others took three days to dry.
When I was wearing those new boots, my left heel started hurting- which I attributed to new boots.

Turns out that it's the way I'm sitting on the backhoe while gingerly feeling for unknown utilities.

4 comments:

  1. I get strange pains in my neck, when I'm on a crane, the lift is tedious and the sun is in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to duct tape a chunk of pool noodle on that edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be happy it wasn't an unknown electrical circuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit it when i was cleaning around the concrete infill of our primary.

      So far I've found three water lines and a gas line that they had no idea was there- neither did the locators.
      I just had a feeling because of the valve box I uncovered next to the trench and the gas meter next to the building that I'd find something.

      Maybe I need to get into the utility marking business, because I'm better than the ones getting $100/hr that only look at prints.

      Delete

I've had to enable moderation because some bots just can't stop sh1tting where other people want to live......kind of like Liberals.

It's either this or WV...