Monday, February 04, 2013

Something for Liberals to think about

I came on this quote from a favorite author, and saw how well it fit todays enlightened crowd:

“Huxley: "Tell me something Bryce, do you know the difference between a Jersey, a Guernsey, a Holstein, and an Ayershire?"
Bryce: "No."
Huxley: "Seabags Brown does."
Bryce: "I don't see what that has to do..."
Huxley: "What do you know about Gaelic history?"
Bryce: "Not much."
Huxley: "Then why don't you sit down one day with Gunner McQuade. He is an expert. Speaks the language, too."
Bryce: "I don't..."
Huxley: " What do you know about astronomy?"
Bryce: "A little."
Huxley: "Discuss it with Wellman, he held a fellowship."
Bryce: "This is most puzzling."
Huxley: "What about Homer, ever read Homer?"
Bryce: "Of course I've read Homer."
Huxley: "In the original Greek?"
Bryce: "No"
Huxley: "Then chat with Pfc. Hodgkiss. Loves to read the ancient Greek."
Bryce: "Would you kindly get to the point?"
Huxley: "The point is this, Bryce. What makes you think you are so goddam superior? Who gave you the bright idea that you had a corner on the world's knowledge? There are privates in this battalion who can piss more brains down a slit trench then you'll ever have. You're the most pretentious, egotistical individual I've ever encountered. Your superiority complex reeks. I've seen the way you treat men, like a big strutting peacock. Why, you've had them do everything but wipe your ass.
"


Without cheating- any guesses who it is?
He was a WWII marine and a prolific Pro-Isrealie author.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah . . . I grew up with 'Battle Cry'. That's Leon Uris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heinlein wasn't a Marine he was Navy. So I don't think he wrote it. But it's sounds likes something he would write. Looking up Mr Uris now. If he wrote that, I definitely want to read his stuff. He also wrote screenplays according to wiki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite novels is Exodus. I'm going to have to go find more of his work, now...because that rant is epic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was Highpockets in Battle Cry, one of the books that helped me understand my father. A quiet man who never spoke of making that little walk through the lagoon to get to the beach at Tarawa, I never heard him speak of the war, except for jokes, until after my first tour in the Southeast Asian War Games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite of his was Mila 18, about the Warsaw uprising in WWII.

    ReplyDelete