Thursday, December 07, 2006

Can someone please tell me

What is the absolute fascination that some people have with my trailer tires?

They're big, black and round. WHY would anyone want to sit there next to them for miles on an open road?
Let me tell you what they do, so you won't have to get alongside of me and take up one of my accident avoidance options.

The wheels on the trailer go round and round
Round and round, round and round
The wheels on the trailer go round and round
All the way to town.

The wheels on the trailer go round and round
Round and round, round and round
The wheels on the trailer go round and round
All the way to town.

The wheels on the trailer go round and round
Round and round, round and round
The wheels on the trailer go round and round
All the way to town.

OK? Do you want me to repeat it for the 30 minutes it takes to go from Castroville to San Antonio?

Because driving something that's almost 70' long and weighs up to 80,000 pounds is a little different than driving your average 12'long 3,000 pound 4 wheeler.

When I go down hill, I can't ride the brakes and expect to have any when I get to the bottom. The way drivers are supposed to do it is to brake hard then ease-up and brake hard until at the bottom. If you're tailgating me on the way into town, you'll have a big surprise when I hit my brakes to drop 10 MPH below the speed limit so I can hit them again at 10 MPH over. ...And repeat until the bottom.

Driving is about space management. I have my lane, you have yours. My truck is about 8 feet wide, yours is 6 or less. Please use the extra 2 feet to stay in your lane because I can't jerk my truck out of your way when you drift into mt lane while texting on your phone. If you're on my right side, all I can see is the top of your vehicle, not how close you are to my wheels.

If I have someone on my trailer tires and some dork on the phone on my right, all I have is the brakes. At 70 MPH, it takes 3 times as long to stop my truck as it does your car. If you slam on your brakes in front of me, I can Guarantee that no matter what your wheels do, your vehicle WON'T stop until my truck does.
In addition to reaction time, my airbrakes take another second or so to actuate all the way back to my my trailer brakes.

To wrap it up: Pass me or stay behind me.
and most importantly... F*ing HANG-UP AND DRIVE!




This DOT test guardrail test film is interesting, too- with Flying cars!

(UPDATE)
I'd like to extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to all the Union workers the the International plant for their thoughtful attempts to ensure that I have plenty to listen to in my new truck.
Those annoying squeeks from ill fitted parts and especially the screwdriver y'all left in the dashboard where I can't get to.
I appreciate it.
Who needs to hear a radio, CD or CB when I can listen to your careful placement and securing results.

Nothing spells "UNION PRIDE" like a truck with less than 8,000 miles on it that the driver needs earplugs to drive. "Proudly made in America" buy our cr@p because we say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment