Saturday, March 25, 2006

I was going to pass on the "Don't get drunk in bars" crackdown here in Tx

But after reading about towns making money on speed traps, I decided to rant.
In case you haven't noticed, I haven't posted in a while. Things aren't going right at the job. Things change without the superintendant (me) being told, the wrong materials orderd and my problem child refuses to listen to me understand what I'm trying to get him to do. I swear, there must be something in the water in Devine- I haven't had one worker from there that was worth a chit.
Anyway, I've been working long hours and basicaly spinning my wheels. I get home tired and don't feel like thinking. I know most of these posts don't have much deep thought showing through, but there is motivation, anyway.

This TABC Barbra Striesand about arresting patrons in bars for Public intoxication just kinda got inder my collar.
Undercover Agents in a bar, giving field sobriety tests there, in public. Seems to be asking for some kind of harrasment, or humiliation lawsuit. I guess It's more lucrative to just stick a net in a stock pen to get your fish than to actually go out fishing to STOP DWI's and staking out convinience stores to catch underage drinkers.

Their excuse is that they're acting "pre-emptively" (which is a bad word if you're a Republican President) to stop "bad" things from happening to people EVEN IF THEY HAVE A DESIGNATED DRIVER because, you know- it's to protect the innocent, like the children, and themselves.

According to the Mothers Against Drunk Driving Web site, Texas had 1,264 alcohol-related traffic fatalities in 2004, the most in the nation. But how many were illegals?

"We're trying to reduce that and save lives," Beck said.

B.J. Hassell, manager of victims services with MADD Texas State, which serves a 29-county area in Central Texas, said her organization supports the crackdown.

"Can you imagine if TABC had not stopped those people from leaving the bar, how many more drunk drivers we might have had on the road?" Hassell said
. (I lost the WOAI link-and they don't have archive search.)

Ok lady- were ALL of those arrested going to get into a car without a D.D.?
The TABC went into MOTEL bars last week (it was on WOAI radio) and arrested MOTEL GUESTS for being over the Tx prohibitionlike .08%BAC. Yes, you heard right, in a MOTEL. WTF? Is this the newest out of town revenue maker, like the speed trap that my post started with? They're in a MOTEL, if they flew into the DFW Metroplex they probably weren't going to drive home.
Just to be truthfull, I'd rather know I was behind a drunk than some idiot on a cell phone because, at least drunks are somewhat predictable. I'm sure no-one in the MADD organization has endangered anyone with a cell phone in their ear and weaving between two lanes while making erratic 20MPH speed changes when someone passes their inattentive @ss.

No comments:

Post a Comment