Friday, July 15, 2005

Should I write about something I don't really know about?

I have my thoughts, and if devoting hours of airtime and trees worth of print on proving a (false) idea they have is true *waving at KKKarl*, then I guess I can waste some electrons.

The new Harry Potter book is coming out tonight. I have a 16 yr-old who would willingly camp outside in the rain to get the new book. More power to her, she's expanding her mind and learning about right and wrong (by osmosis?)- but she's NOT hanging in the hood, or doing anything illegal or immoral.

I've been seeing a lot of moral -ummmm , , ,'experts'- telling about how bad the Potter books are with the witchcraft and majik and all. I'm a (non practicing) Lutheran, I was taught from a book that had water turning magically into wine, guys walking on water, people rising from the dead, a guy who lived in a whales' belly, a small boat that housed every type of living animal now on earth, 7 loaves and 7 fishes that magically fed a multitude.
The thing with Harry is that everyone KNOWS it's fiction! H.P. is on the side of good, he's showing how hard it is to do the right thing. I want my girls to know that the easy thing is usually not the right thing- and to be ready for the problems.

I have alot less problem with the girl reading Harry Potter than I do with what the Liberals want her to believe.

(Just for the record, I'm a non-practicing Christian- NOT- a non believer)

No comments:

Post a Comment